5 things You Can Do to Reduce Electronic Waste
Recycling is a popular activity in the world today given the threat of modernization to our environment. Over the years, we have been told to recycle stuff to save the earth and prevent piles and piles of waste that can potentially destroy our natural resources.
As the new era of the manufacturing and computer age begins, we are now faced with a different ecological challenge. This is what we call as electronic waste crisis.
Now, slowly piling up and we need to ensure that we work on solutions now; it will be a big problem that we can no longer solve. It is similar to our normal garbage in such a way that when space is no longer available, it is transform into a problem that has a tremendous impact on our community.
Electronic Recycling is now a key aspect of environmental protection and preservation.
Given the possible toxic chemicals present in computers and several electronic devices, proper disposal process is necessary. The presence of deadly toxins like dioxins, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), cadmium, chromium, radioactive isotopes and mercury, creates a health hazard of enormous proportions. As such, either we recycle the monitors, processors, memory cards and computer motherboards or we shall suffer the ill effects of the chemicals found in these items. It is imperative that we know and understand the method of how to properly recycle these end-of-life electronics.
There are several recycling methods that we can implement:
- Consumer recycling – Recycling by means of a electronic recycling firm or donating the computers to countries or organizations that needs them. It can also mean sending back to the original manufacturer so that they can dispose or recycle the parts accordingly.
Read: donating computers.
- Corporate Recycling – Companies can find recycling company for used computers and other electronics to do responsible recycling.
Read: Our Services
- Sell – There are always a person who needs cheap computers. If we are not to use them again, then we can sell it a distinct bargain price.
Read: Security Alert
- Take Back – Several computer companies are now very open in taking back their products for disposal. All consumers must be made aware of this to ensure that these devices are properly disposed of.
Read: Data Destruction
- Exchange – There are computer companies that will take back their old units. They can refurbish and sell it back to the trade for a discounted price.
Read: How It Really Works
Choose your method carefully.
These 5 methods will make a big difference for the environment, but be careful what you choose. Imagine if all computer companies will change their model every three months and over 1 billion people will change their device in line with this latest electronic trend. The used machines will pile up so bad that not even a small country will be able to hold off all electronic garbage. But if our disposal methodology is as efficient as our manufacturing lines, well, it will be a whole different story. Electronic recycling is an important aspect of our modern life.
As the years progress, this needs to be taught at the elementary level to ensure that the future generation will know how to take care of the environment. Electronic devices should make our lives easier and not make it disasterous.